Saturday, February 19, 2011

Favorites!

I love finding and trying new products. I am always on the lookout for something that has the potential to become a favorite! One of the best ways to do this is by finding out what other beauty lovers love. So, I am feeling a little generous and would love to share a few of my must haves. I'm going to start with my hair product must haves, and share my other beauty secrets later on :).

Because I am always up for trying a new beauty must have, I always, and you can quote me - always - love to find a lovely little morsel at a lovely little PRICE. So, I am not going to talk about a bunch of products that would be great only if you had Paris Hilton's beauty budget. I love finding other blogger's favorites but always get a smack in the face when I scroll down and see that her favorite tube of oh-so-perfect pinky lipstick is $67 cheese-a-roos. I work hard for my money and have no intention whatsoever of using a whole days' pay to buy shampoo and conditioner (as well as the fact that I would not like to be the reason my huzzzband gets deemed clinically insane after watching the $20 dollar bills I just washed my hair with float down the drain). The gist of it is: I just love to try, try, try and don't want to waste my beauty budget on one thing that I may not end up loving.

With that little disclaimer out of the way - here we are, friends! As always, please feel free to let me know of any questions or tidbits of advice you may have.

We all know how those oh-so-fun frizzies can pop up without welcome. I love both of these serums because not only do they help with the frizz, they also help with shine and heat protection. I swear by the 2nd one (Frizz-Ease) and use it everyday. Just be careful to use serums very sparingly, they can easily turn into a grease-ball disaster. Eeeek.
Kenra Platinum Silkening Gloss, $11 (find it at your salon)
John Freida Frizz Ease Hair Serum Extra Strength Formula, $8.99 (find it at your local heaven, I mean Target)


Once a week, I like to get the gunk that builds up in my hair from hairsprays/mousse/whatever else ends up in there with a hair cleansing shampoo. I love the way my hair feels after using a cleanser... just feels, well, clean (surprise!). While I love the Hair Cleansing Cream by Redken, Drama Clean by Herbal Essences does a pretty bang up job as well. Just use in place of your regular shampoo whenever you feel a deep clean is necessary. I like to shampoo twice (leave the first on for a little longer) and then use a smaller amount of conditioner than normal (so I don't put all the weight back in after just taking it out).
Redken Hair Cleansing Cream, $17 (find it at your salon)
Herbal Essences Drama Clean, $3 (find it at Target)

Because I am a blondie (ahem... naturally, of course), I also like to use a blonde brightening shampoo every once in awhile when my golden locks are lacking shine or looking shamefully brassy. Blonde friends: we all know that brassy looks just about as bad on your head as it does on a doorknob. I do the same as the hair cleansing cream: use in place of your regular shampoo as you feel the need. While the Jhirmack tends to leave my hair smelling a little grandma-esque, I absolutely adore the softness and brightness it adds to my hair. Hey, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Redken Blonde Glam Shampoo, $11 (find it at your salon)
Jhirmack Silver Brightening Shampoo, $3 (find it at Walgreens or a similar store)



My hair is naturally "wavy." I use wavy in it's broadest form, because really, my hair is more accurately "just enough curl to make you straighten me/a little tempestuous at the sight of moisture" and there really isn't a word that accurately portrays all that (except "annoying"). Needless to say, my hair requires a little shmoozing when I don't feel like spending 45 minutes in front of the mirror with a blowdryer and flat iron sweating all the clean off that mr. shower just gave me. Here is what I have found to work best for my hair:
1. start with a light-but-still-moisturizing shampoo/conditioner (it's best to find one specifically for curls).
I like: Tresemme Flawless Curls Shamp/Cond, $3.84 each (find them at Target)
2. after shower, scrunch hair while head is upside down with a towel (I know, sounds fun)
3. take your hair out of the towel, my most important part: DON'T BRUSH!
4. spray a curl enhancing mist all over, don't be afraid to be wildly generous (don't wait too long for your hair to dry, because then mr. frizz like to make a visit)
I like: Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves Spray, $3.34 (find it at Target)
5. scrunch around your head a few times. Then, turn head upside down (again) and use a palmful of mousse to scrunch all over
I like: Garnier Fructis Curl Construct Mousse, $3.34 (find it at Target)
6. voila! Scrunch a few more times haphazardly around your head while your hair is drying.
7. you are finished, gorgeous! Don't let the 6 steps scare you, I promise - it's easy peasy.

I hope that you were able to get through all of my hair ranting and raving. What I hope even more is that you were able to get at least a few new ideas to try! Be on the lookout for my next Favorites Post!

Much love!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I am so clueless when it comes to hair and makeup, but I will definitely be trying out these products. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete